Prayer - So Simple, Yet So Confusing

A wonderful, beautiful Christian friend of mine made a post on Facebook a couple days ago that made me stop and think. She talked about how we should talk to God on a daily basis, and not only when we need something. How do we talk to God? Through prayer, of course.

But HOW do we pray? Is there any "right" or "wrong" way?

Should I talk to God like I talk to my kids? No, He’s higher than that; talking to Him in that fashion would be disrespectful. I mean, really, when I talk to my kids, I am teaching them. What can I teach God that He doesn’t already know? Nothing, that’s what. He’s already all-knowing. He knows literally everything, far more than I could ever hope to know!

Should I talk to God like I would talk to my boss? Again, no. While I am fortunate enough to have a good boss who is fairly relaxed, there is still a sense of reservation there. I wouldn’t talk to him in a close, casual manner, especially about anything outside my job (unless, of course, it’s something that directly affects my job, like spending the night in the ER and having to call in the next day).

Should I talk to God like I talk to my best friend? This may be a little closer, but still, I’m not sure. I love my best friend, and we share just about every aspect of our lives with each other, but the way we communicate may be too casual for prayer. Being a higher power, doesn’t God deserve more than that? More reverence, more respect?

Is there a position or location in which I should pray? Do I stand? Kneel? Bow? What about my hands? Should they be folded? Clasped? At my side? Lifted up? Should my eyes be open or closed? Head bowed or looking up to the heavens? Do I need to be in a quiet room at a designated time, spending a lengthy period praying, or is it okay to be “out and about” and say a quick, precise prayer? This last question is one I’m pretty sure on, based on Matthew 6:7 (I borrowed this from the English Standard Version, or ESV, as that is the version I read).

And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words.

That tells me that length of prayer does not necessarily mean much…so perhaps the content is what’s more important, instead of length.

I think a lot of my anxiety about praying comes from my background. I was raised in such a way that women are not worthy of praying, only men are. If a woman had something she wanted sent up in prayer, she had to go to her husband or other “church” elder and present her request to him; if her request was deemed unworthy, then he did not pray for that. Being a woman (or at that stage in my life, a girl), I was never taught how to pray. In fact, I was taught that I cannot pray simply because I was born female. Now that I am starting over, I am struggling with this simplest of Christian practices.

The crazy part is that I have no problem praying with my children. My older kids do it on their own, but my youngest likes to have me say the prayer and he repeats after me. How is it possible that I can guide my child, but I can’t guide myself? Why do I flow through a prayer when praying with my son, but then don’t know what to say when I try praying on my own?

There are many different suggestions when it comes to praying. Just Google “how to pray”, and you’ll pull up roughly 136 MILLION results. Naturally, each result gives different advice. Does it really vary that much? Is it religious preference? Does it depend on what you’re praying for? It’s so confusing!


I think at this point, one thing is clear…I need to work on my personal prayer time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's wrong with me?

A feeling of deja vu...